Legal structure

“Elia Group acts as a holding company owning Elia Transmission Belgium (Belgian TSO), Eurogrid International (comprising the activities of 50Hertz, the German TSO) and Elia Grid International (the Group’s international consultancy branch). Its main shareholder is the municipal holding Publi-T. Elia Group (formerly Elia System Operator SA/NV) has been listed on the regulated market of Euronext Brussels, since June 2005.”

Legal StructureLegal Structure

Elia Group holds direct stakes in :

  • Elia Transmission Belgium (ETB) fully owned. ETB is the Belgian transmission system operator for high-voltage electricity (30,000–380,000 volts). Its main activities include managing grid infrastructure (maintaining and developing high-voltage installations) and electrical system (monitoring flows, maintaining the balance between electricity consumption and generation 24/7, importing and exporting to and from neighbouring countries) as well as facilitating the market (developing services and mechanisms with a view to developing the electricity market at national and European level).
  • Eurogrid GmbH (80% stake) and comprising the activities of 50Hertz, the German TSO. The remaining 20% being held by the German state-owned Bank Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau (« KfW»). KfW is one of the world’s leading promotional banks. With its decades of experience, KfW is committed to improving economic, social and ecological living conditions across the globe on behalf of the Federal Republic of Germany and the federal states. KfW does not have any branches and does not hold customer deposits. It refinances its promotional business almost entirely through the international capital markets. In Germany, the KfW Group is represented in Frankfurt, Berlin, Bonn and Cologne. Its network includes 80 offices and representations around the world.
  • Elia Grid International (EGI), a 50/50 joint venture with 50Hertz Transmission GmbH. EGI offers supporting services and advice to government bodies, utilities and other key players around the world seeking support for the design and implementation of future projects in the power sector. It provides advisory services in the following domains: Asset Management, System Operations, Grid Development and RES integration. Its activities are considered to be non-regulated.

Elia Transmission Belgium holds shares in
  • Nemo Link, a joint-venture between Elia and National Grid Interconnector Holdings Limited, a subsidiary company of the UK’s National Grid Plc, a major UK company which owns and manages gas and electricity infrastructure in the UK and in the northeastern US. Nemo Link operates a 1,000 MW interconnector between Belgium and Great-Brittani and is governed by a regulatory framework determined by OFGEM and CREG.
  • Elia Engineering, is fully owned by Elia and is responsible for all engineering activities
  • Elia Re’s is Elia’s reinsurance company
  • Enervalis, developping innovative software-as-a-service solutions that will support market players in optimizing their energy bill, while helping to meet growing flexibility needs, with a view to managing the balance between supply and demand on the system;
  • Ampacimon, providing and developing dynamic monitoring systems (current capacity) for overhead lines that help the TSOs to increase the efficiency of the grid and which respect the required security level;
  • JAO, a joint service company of twenty Transmission System Operators from seventeen countries, responsible for the yearly, monthly and daily auctions of transmission rights on 27 borders in Europe. Acts as a fall-back for the European Market Coupling;
  • HGRT (holding des gestionnaires de réseau de transport), a shareholder in the French-based European power exchange EPEX Spot SE;
  • Coreso, the first joint regional technical coordination centre, shared by nine European transmission system operators. Coreso contributes to a number of EU objectives, namely the operational safety of the electricity system, the integration of large-scale renewable energy generation (wind energy) and the development of the electricity market in CWE;
Please be aware that we use cookies on our website. By continuing to use this website, or by clicking "I accept", you indicate that you have read and agree with our cookie policy. More information about cookies can be found here.